Monday, November 28, 2011

We are runners, and we know we're crazy


            Yesterday was Sunday.  In Seattle, it was near 50 degrees and rainy with gusts of wind.  Typical fall Seattle weather.  Normal people, on a day like that, would try to sleep in a bit.  Then maybe do some errands, perhaps tidy up a bit.  Maybe it was even a good laundry day.  Some might take a day like that to catch up on some Hulu or watch a little Netflix.  Others might even read a book with a hot cup of tea.
            What did I do?  I woke up at 5 am in order to run the Amica Insurance Seattle Half Marathon with a few thousand other crazy runners.  I met my friends at 6 am to drive down to the start line at Seattle Center.  Then I met a few more friends at the start line at 7 am.  By 7:30, I was taking off from the starting line, ready to conquer the 13.1 miles ahead of me with one goal: break the 2 hour finish time that haunted me during my last half in June when I finished in 2 hours and 1 minute. 
            One minute.  It may not seem like a lot, but when you are in the midst of 13.1 hilly miles with the wind and rain, that one minute means running each mile 4.5 seconds faster than the last time I ran.  It means NOT walking that last grudging hill.  It means NOT slowing down when the legs start aching.  It means standing up tall, pushing forward, and remembering why I’m doing this.
            Wait...why am I doing this?  That question pesters me every time I race.  I hit the hard miles, want to slow down, want to stop.  Suddenly my mind becomes a battlefield.  The body is tired, but the body will do its job.  I know that.  I’ve pushed it beyond what I thought were its limits before, and it has not broken down on me.  It’s the mind that is unreliable.  In the middle of a tough race, I feel like I have two people in my head.  There’s Voice #1 who wants to stop, walk, give up, sit on the side of the road and say I’m done. It’s the voice that asks “Why on Earth am I doing this??"  It’s the voice that wants to send evil vibes to the spectator holding up the sign that says “No one is making you do this.”  The voice that wants to sucker punch the bystander at mile 10 or 20 who tells you excitedly “you’re almost there!”  As well intentioned as you may be, I am NOT almost there.
            And then there’s Voice #2.  The voice who says you can do this.  You WILL do this.  You will hate yourself if you don’t do this.  Pain is temporary.  You will make it through.  5 seconds faster a mile?  No problem.  That looming hill up ahead?  You will conquer it.  Yes, it will hurt.  But then the pain will stop and you will be stronger.  This is the voice that believes in all the motivational posters people hold up on the side of the road: “Pain is nothing compared to what it feels like to quit,” “Just one foot in front of the other,” “If you walk, you’ll still be hurting.”  It’s also the voice that laughs at the funny stuff like the poster that proudly declares “WORST PARADE EVER” or the group of people on the side of the road handing out water cups full of beer.  It’s the voice that enjoys the race, enjoys the day, enjoys life.
            Yesterday, the argument between these two voices started pretty early.  I hit the big hill at mile 7 and already Voice #1 was poking me in the back of the head.  But I’d run that hill in training 2 times before and I could run it now.  So I did.  After running somewhere around an 8:40 pace for the first 8 miles, mile 9 slowed me.  At mile 10, I wanted to stop.  I asked myself what possessed me to do this again?  In my head, I cycled through all the races I have planned for the next 7 months and Voice #1 told me I was insane.  And I walked.  Immediately Voice #2 crept back in.  As usual, she won the argument this time and I started running again.  I ran through mile 11 and mile 12 and finally saw the mile 13 marker.  On the last big hill—just a block long and less than a tenth of a mile from the finish line, Voice #1 convinced me I had given it all.  I started walking again.  Then as I was about halfway up the hill, the pacer holding up a big “2 hour” sign passed me and suddenly I had way more to give.  I started running.  I ran past the pacer, finished the hill, ran up around the corner, into the stadium at Seattle Center, and crossed the finished line at what had to be somewhere between a 7:45 and 8:15 pace.  I raised my hands, celebrated my finish, and looked down at my watch.  1 hour and 59 minutes (official time I found out later—1:59:33.  Less than half a minute was the difference between me and my goal). 
I did it.  I beat 2 hours.  And nothing can beat that feeling.  And it’s not even about the 2 hours.  It’s about doing it.  Whatever it is.  There’s nothing like giving your all, pushing your body and your mind to its limits and achieving the goal.  I’ve found nothing else on earth that can give me a rush like that.  And the funny thing is, as soon as I was done, before a volunteer even had the chance to take off my timing chip 10 feet from the finish line, the only thing I could think was I could have done betterNext time I will do better.  I think this thought at the end of every race.  At the end of my first full marathon in June 2010, as I hobbled across the parking lot at Qwest Field, high on the amazing feeling of having just run a marathon, I was already thinking about how I could do better.  How I could have pushed my body further.  How I could have pushed Voice #1 further back in my head.
Running is an addiction.  The more you run and the better you do, the more you want to run and the better you want to do.  But running isn’t about being the fastest or running the farthest.  Running is about winning in your own mind.  It’s about learning to ignore the voice puts you down.  It’s about finding out how strong your soul is.  At mile 20 of a marathon or mile 10 of a half (or for that matter, mile 1 of a daily run), will your soul be strong enough to fight down that voice that tells you to stop?  That tells you that you are weak, you cannot do it?  Will your soul be strong enough to push yourself harder and farther than you ever have before?  And when you run, and you realize that your soul is strong enough…it’s a feeling that just can’t be described in words.   
Crazy, happy runners at the end of yesterday's race.

No comments:

Post a Comment