Monday, October 31, 2011

I'm sorry if this offends anyone, but dogs are just like 6-year-olds


There are many reasons why I am glad that I chose to be a teacher.  Teaching is certainly not an easy job, but it is a rewarding one.  You get to watch your students grow on a daily basis.  You get to see their excitement as they achieve a new goal or discover a new tidbit of knowledge.  You get to enjoy the pleasure of knowing that every day their lives are touched by you, influenced by you, and hopefully made better by you.  And you get to laugh with them.  Kids love to laugh, and they’re really good at it.
            With teaching, every day is a new day with new experiences and surprises.  You have to be 100% engaged in what you are doing every moment those children are in your classroom and you have to know how to keep those 25 odd children calm and productive for 6-7 hours a day.  In the teaching world, we call this good “classroom management.”  Some may disagree with me here, but I believe that the qualities necessary to be a good teacher are the same qualities necessary to be a good dog owner. 
            I wanted to be a great dog owner.  I had an image of the kind of dog I wanted Lucy to be.  One who was social and friendly with dogs and people, one who could travel with me to a friend’s house, or go camping with me on the weekends (not that I ever went camping).   I wanted a dog who was a good walker—no pulling on the leash or barking at other dogs.  And I realized that if I wanted those things, I had a lot of work to do.  I started watching rerun marathons of the Dog Whisperer.  I had a DVR at the time, and any time the Dog Whisperer played on any station, it was recorded.  This was at the height of Caesar Milan’s fame, so it was ALWAYS on.  I got to the point that I had to sift through all the recordings to see which ones I hadn’t seen yet.  I bought Caesar’s book and read it in a matter of days.  Caesar became my new best friend.  I thought his theory about dogs made a lot of sense.  If you believe you are in charge, they will believe you are too.  The same idea applies to 6-year-olds.
To be a good teacher, you have to be consistent.  Kids need to know what to expect from you, when to expect it, and they need to be able to trust that they will get what they expect.  This is how they learn to trust you.  You need to be consistent with your expectations as well.  If you expect them to sit quietly during a lesson, you need to expect that during every lesson.  You can’t let anything slide for anyone.  To train a dog well, you need to be just as consistent.  You can’t yell at her one day for getting on the couch, and then the next day think that it’s cute.  Puppies are cute…really cute.  When they do things that may seem cute at the time, like putting paws up on the table, you have to imagine how cute that will look when the dog is 75 lbs.
To be a good teacher, you also have to be persistent.  If you teach a lesson, and the kids just don’t get it, that doesn’t mean you give up.  You teach it again in a different way.  And you keep trying and trying until you find something that works.  When you’re training a dog, you can’t give up the first time she decides she won’t come when called.  If she doesn’t come, you figure out a way to make her come.  If there is even one time you ask her to come and then don’t follow through, then for the rest of your life she’ll be thinking “well maybe this time she doesn’t really mean it.”
You also have to possess 2 qualities that may seem to contradict one another.  You need to be firm and positive.  Kids need to know that when you ask them to do something, they need to do it.  And then when they do it, you have to get excited.  REALLY excited.  Or else they won’t do it again.  Both dogs and kids seem to feed off of our energy.  If I am really excited about observing rocks (which is a lesson I was required to teach recently), then the kids are really excited about rocks too.  Teaching is an acting job.  The kids play off your emotions.  Dogs do too.  If you are excited that they went and got that ball and brought it back to you instead of running around in circles to play chase, they might be too.
I am in no way claiming that I am the perfect dog owner or the perfect teacher.  I’m not and I don’t believe either of those people exists.  What I can say, is that over the years I’ve learned a lot and I’ve tried my best.  As difficult as it was time-wise, I think it was kind of fate that Lucy came into my life right at the start my first year of teaching.  I picked Lucy up from the dog shelter literally 2 weeks before I stepped foot in my first classroom full of 1st graders.  At the same time I was learning how to manage my classroom, I was learning how to manage my dog.  I’d never trained a puppy on my own before, and I most certainly had never taught 20 first graders before.  Neither of these things was easy. 
I like to look back now and say I did a pretty good job teaching both my students and my dog that year, but in truth I was fumbling around in the dark with my eyes closed.  In college, you read books and teachers tell you about how to be a good teacher.  When I got Lucy, I listened to Caesar Milan and read his book telling me how to be a good dog owner.  People can tell you things and you can read about things, but it’s impossible to really know what to expect until you experience it yourself.  Until you’re in the thick of it.  

No comments:

Post a Comment