Sunday, May 20, 2012

I did nothing today

Kind of.  I mean I tried to do nothing.  In reality, I did laundry, went Trader Joe's shopping, bought a new pair of running shoes, and went for a 4 mile run with Lucy.  But aside from the laundry, all of that happened after 4 pm.  

There was a 9:45 am, 50 mile bike ride planned for today that got scrapped yesterday evening after I decided I want to enjoy some time out with my friends without worrying about needing to wake up early.  We ended up postponing the ride to 12:00 with an easier route planned.  But then when I woke up this morning, it was raining in Seattle (surprise!), and we pushed the ride even further back to 2 pm.  But 2 pm rolled around and the rain still hadn't passed, so we scrapped the ride completely.  I'm not interested in riding in the rain on wet slippery roads and risking potential injury 2 weeks before the marathon.

So instead, I stayed in bed for a ridiculously long time.  And then when I got out of bed, I went straight to the couch and watched episode after episode of Glee (Santana and Quinn do have hearts--yay for Rachel as prom queen!) and Grey's Anatomy (not quite caught up yet, but I've been missing some very important drama).  Lucy and I snuggled for hours.  It was great.

But it's kind of funny, because the whole time I was laying on the couch, I kept forgetting that it was OK to do so.  Every now and then I would think OK, time to get up and get started with the day.  And then I remembered that no, THIS was my day.  Doing nothing.  Being OK with it.  I felt like I was doing something wrong, like there was something else I should be doing.  I wanted to be doing just what I was doing, relishing in the time I had to spend with Lucy, but it felt like I was being naughty.

I can't remember when I became a person who has trouble relaxing.  Just this past week I was complaining about how I've felt so "go go go" lately with no spare time, and now here I was with nothing but time and I couldn't handle it.  It seems that I've forgotten how to sit and be still.  Generally speaking, I don't think this is a bad thing, but sometimes it can bite me in the butt.

It makes me wonder how I'm going to handle this summer as I work only 2 half days and then my regular Friday hostessing shift.  So much time to fill!  Maybe I can retrain myself to enjoy a few hours of downtime.  More than likely though, going off the trend I've been on lately, I'll find ways to fill that time and suddenly the summer will be over and I'll ask myself where it all went.  We'll see.

Meanwhile, it's time to begin mentally preparing for another week filled with work, Lucy-walking, non-Lucy running, and biking.  Here goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment