Sunday, June 17, 2012

Thanks Dad!


As much as I love living in Seattle, being here is hard sometimes.  Because sometimes, I just miss my dad.  I am a self-admitted daddy's girl, and being so far away from my dad isn't easy.

My dad is a deeply good person with a huge heart.  There has never been an ounce of doubt in my mind that  he didn't love me and our family with his entire heart.  Growing up, I knew that the life he led and the decisions he made were shaped around his family.  He is a kindhearted, giving, and caring person.

My dad gave me these values.  He gave me a lot of the qualities that are inherent in me that make me a good teacher, friend, and person.  He gave me the joy I get from being outside as much as I can.  He gave me the ability to be alone and enjoy solitude.  He gave me truth and purpose and independence.  He gave me morality and justice.  And he gave me trust.  He trusted that I would be become a good person, make good choices, and choose a worthy path in my life.  And because he believes in me and trusts me, I have done those things.

My dad has played a huge role in shaping the person I've become--the teacher, the marathoner, the reader, the writer, the friend, the daughter, sister and doggy mother.  He are 3 of the important lessons I've learned from my father that have helped me become me.

1) Dogs are necessary.  My love for dogs developed because of my dad.  We've had several dogs come and go throughout the years, and dad loved every single one of them.  He takes the dogs for long walks, pets them endlessly, and life just doesn't seem right for him without a dog in it.  I think the day the I decided to get a dog, he was more excited than me.  He picked Lucy.  There was another black lab puppy that looked a lot like Maya that I wanted to get, but dad saw Lucy's floppy ears and wiggly body and said I think you should get that one.  And because I listen when my dad talks, I did.  So now I have Lucy.  And I can't imagine life without her.

2) Be patient and listen.  Some people like to be dramatic.  Some people get upset really easily.  Some people stress about life's every little problem.  And that's the way they are.  If you don't want to get caught up in it, sometimes it's best to just step back, let it happen, and then help pick up the pieces when it's over.  You can't change the way people are, but you can be patient with them.  You can be the non-judging ear that listens.  You can be the calming presence, the rock that will always be there to lean against.

3) Don't assume that they know you care.  I know that my dad loves me.  I have always known and never doubted it.  I know that he loves his children, he loves his wife, he loves his family.  In my house, there has never been a lack of love.  Whether it's a spoken "I love you, Miss Bird," a big hug, or a simple smile, my dad always lets me know he loves me.  Sometimes, even though you may have said it a million times before, people just need some reassurance that they are in your heart.  And even if they don't need it, you should still say it anyways.  Because you certainly don't lose anything by saying it, and nobody is hurt by hearing it.

I wanted to put of picture of my dad here, and it took me a really long time to find one.  My dad is a behind-the-scenes guy.  He's the picture taker.  He quietly lets everyone else take the stage and asks for very little in return.  I found this one though (I'm not sure who was able to convince him to be in the picture):
Side by side with my mom.
And then there's this one too:
Christmas 2004, nice hair Ian.
Dad with his family, dad with his dogs.  Dad as he loves to be.

Thanks for everything you've given me, Daddo.  I hope one day I can come close to giving you something as worthy in return.  

No comments:

Post a Comment