Wednesday, January 4, 2012

DISCLAIMER: I have nothing against cats, small dogs, or landlords...I simply find discrimination intolerable


            I just had a temporary mini meltdown.  It started after my landlord sent me an email informing me of a few dates and times for people coming to view my apartment.  In 25 days, I will be moving.  I gave my landlord my one month’s notice just before New Year’s, informing her that Lucy and I are going to try to upgrade our living style by February 1st.  More windows, maybe more space?  Enough room for Lucy to wag her tail without it banging into something?  The idea has sounded great in theory for a couple months now, so I decided to bite the bullet and go for it.
            The mini meltdown occurred momentarily after receiving the email when it suddenly occurred to me that I am moving in 25 days.  And I have no idea where I’m moving to.  Suddenly that uneasy feeling I talked about a few posts ago exploded into anxiety.  I scoured today’s craigslist listings, called several places, and emailed a few.  It wasn’t until about 30 minutes later when I stepped away from my computer that I was finally able to calm down, refocus, and tame my beating heart.  I reassured myself that in a large city like Seattle, one usually can’t find an apartment until 15 days prior to a moving date.  I got used to this idea in New York.  I reminded myself that all of my moves have been up in the air like this—the only difference here is that in the past I had a one year lease ending that signaled finding a new place.  In this case, where I live on a month to month basis, I ended the lease.  There is no practical difference here, I think it’s just more nerve-wracking because I made the choice to move instead of my pre-determined lease.  I brought this upon myself—it was not forced upon me.
            Moving is stressful.  Moving is even more stressful when you have a large dog to think about and a fairly limited budget.  As dog-friendly as Seattle may be, most landlords are not so dog-friendly.  Especially large-dog-friendly.  I’ve been keeping an eye on craigslist ever since I decided to move, and I’ve seen some great apartments.  Every time I see a good heading and click on the link, the first thing I do is scour the words for the dreaded “no pets” clause, or “cat’s only,” or even worse “small dogs ok.”  I almost always find one of these statements, but the last one pisses me off the most.  When a landlord decrees that small dogs are ok, I can tell they are not dog owners.  The size of a small dog is very disproportionate to the size of its energy.  Do they think that a poorly trained, little yappy bit of a dog is going to do less damage to their apartment or make any less noise than a large, properly trained and mature dog?  It infuriates me.
            No, I am not a landlord.  I cannot step into the shoes of a landlord and understand all their worries.  I have no point of reference for this.  If I reach into the depths of my mind, I can pull out some sympathy for the landlord who doesn’t want pets.  It’s certainly easier not to have to deal with them.  You never know what you’re going to get, and some people are simply horrible pet owners.  I get this.  But to specify that certain pets are acceptable above others, it makes me incredibly angry.  How would having a dog like Lucy around be worse than a male cat that sprays everything in sight and claws the carpets to death?  Or a mini dog that yaps at every person that passes on the street?
            If landlords are going to accept pets, I think there should be some sort of screening process.  Meet my dog.  Talk to my current landlord.  Talk to my former roommates.  But don’t flat out tell me that my pet is not accepted because she is not a cat and weighs over 25 lbs!  This is discrimination, I tell you.  It should be unlawful.  Landlords cannot openly discriminate against the people they rent to, so why should they be able to discriminate against the pets? 
            Perhaps these are just the anxiety-ridden ramblings of a woman in the midst of a change, but it’s the principal of the thing.  Moving is hard enough…why make it harder on people who love their pets?  After all, who would ever want to say no to a face like this?

No comments:

Post a Comment