Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Snowmageddon!


            Snowmageddon 2012 has hit Seattle, and I can’t help but think about the massive snow storm that attacked Seattle my first winter here.  Today as the snow continues to fall and coat everything, I am sitting on my couch, drinking coffee, and thinking about getting a head start on my packing for my big move in a couple weeks.  3 years ago when the snowstorm hit, things were very different.  So, in honor of Snowmageddon, I am skipping ahead a few months in the story to tell the story of Snowmageddon 2008.  Don’t worry, I’ll go back and fill in the blanks later.
            When snow started falling the week before Christmas break 3 years ago, it may be a bit of an exaggeration to say this (but very close to the truth), I was happier than I could remember ever being.  Sierra and I had gotten an apartment together with Lucy and her cat Bob in the neighborhood of Magnolia in Seattle. 
Magnolia is an interesting place.  The neighborhood is a peninsula composed of 2 large hills stacked behind each other.  There are only 3 entrances into the neighborhood: 1) the Magnolia Bridge, which takes you directly to the top of the 1st hill, 2) Fisherman’s Terminal, which takes you through a marina full of docked fishing boats to the bottom of the first hill, and 3) Dravus St., which is a small bridge at the bottom of the first hill that goes over the train tracks that divide Magnolia from the rest of the world.
If you enter Magnolia from Dravus or Fishermans Terminal, and look up the hill, there are cities of apartment complexes towards the top.  This is where Sierra and I had our apartment.  We were about 2 blocks down from the top of the hill, 4 blocks up from the bottom. 
If you were to continue traveling up this hill, you’d see more houses, less apartments—giving the neighborhood the feel of a suburb that accidently found itself marooned in the center of a large city.  Continue up and over the hill, and the houses get a bit bigger.  At the bottom of the first hill, in the valley between the two hills, you find Magnolia Village.  This 4 block radius “Village” is composed of one bar, a couple restaurants, and a few shops.
Travel through the village and start your ascent up the 2nd hill, and you’ll notice that the houses are getting bigger and bigger.  Once you reach the crest of that hill, you are looking at mansions.  Magnolia is where rich people go to retire.  The back hill ends in a cliff that drops off into the Puget Sound.  This hill is filled with huge mansions overlooking the water.  On a clear day, you can see the entire skyline of the Olympic Mountains above the water from the oversized decks and windows of these homes.
Magnolia was a unique place for me to begin my Seattle experience.  It is removed from the rest of the city, far from highways, disconnected from the main stream of Seattle life.  Living on the face of the first hill was like being in a college dorm.  There was one bar at the bottom of the hill that many of the apartment dwellers frequented.  The more Sierra and I and our friend Cristin frequented this bar, the more we got to know the apartment residents of Magnolia, and the more we realized that we all lived, if not in the same apartment complex, then at least a block or 2 away.
By the time Snowmageddon 2008 hit that December, I had gotten to know my Magnolia crew fairly well, had found myself a boyfriend, and had sprained my ankle.  My first 4 months in Seattle were eventful to say the least.  As I said, Magnolia is already cut off from the rest of the world, but then imagine Seattle getting hit with half a foot of snow.  We were truly cut off.  There was no getting in or out of Magnolia.  Remember how I mentioned we lived 2 blocks from the top of the hill and 4 from the bottom?  This isn’t just a normal hill…I swear the roads go up at 45 degree angles.  The sidewalks are grooved so that you don’t slip backwards as you hike up them.  When the snow finally dumped there was no driving up this hill, for fear of slipping backwards (I saw few cars attempt this unsuccessfully) and no driving down the hill for fear of not being able to stop (saw this too). 
We were stranded.  Time had stopped, no one was working or even thinking about working.  So what else was there to do but hike down the hill to the bar and enjoy our temporarily suspended lives?  But remember—I had a sprained ankle, which made “hiking” not so easy.  I decided to take off the boot I’d been wearing for 6 weeks and put on a small ace bandage instead. 
I have snippets of memories during the days of this snowstorm.  Walking down the hill, beers in hand, stumbling upon sledders who told us we could sled to the bottom on their sleds as long as we could do it without spilling our beers.  Walking up the hill, completely out of breath by the time we got to the top, feeling my ankle swell with every step.  I have an image coming down the hill again of Sierra, Cristin and I—we hit an icy patch and suddenly both Cristin and Sierra are simultaneously flat on their backs on the ground—I can’t still hear the “boom, boom” of them both hitting the ground in my mind.  I remember seeing cars strewn along the hill, left abandoned after attempts at escaping.  Then there’s me crying in the middle of the grocery store because I found out I wouldn’t be making it home to New York in time for Christmas.  There’s 20 of us at one person’s apartment, cooking a huge spaghetti dinner, staring out the windows to announce that it’s “STILL SNOWING!” which made me temporarily forget that I wouldn’t be seeing my family as soon as I’d thought.  I remember laughing and smiling so much that my face hurt. 
It’s funny how snow days as “adults” (if that’s what we could have been called at the time) can be just as much, if not more, fun than snow days as kids.  I’d lived in a city where 3 feet of snow didn’t shut down school, so my first Seattle snowstorm was a wonderful surprise.  I felt like a kid again, playing with my friends in the snow.
I remember looking back at the last 4 months of my life at the time and thinking about how different my life had suddenly become—how much more full of smiles and laughter it was, how much happier I’d become in just that short amount of time.  Looking out my window at Snowmageddon today makes me think about how much has changed since that snowstorm 3 short years ago.  Today, I am not running off to the bar with friends, but sitting comfortably on my couch, snuggling with my dog.  And that’s ok.  I’ll remember that snow storm as one of the most fun experiences of my life, but life is different now.  I’m not in Magnolia anymore, and neither are a lot of those people.  We’re all still friends, but I’d like to think we’ve grown up a bit.  We’re not living that “dorm” life anymore.  And I’m ok with that.  This past Monday I turned 28, and I think it’s time that I start thinking about being an adult.  At least some of the time…

No comments:

Post a Comment