Thursday, February 23, 2012

Seattle Seahawks and a sprained ankle


            The premise of this blog is to talk about my dog and running, and I realize that I have done neither of those things in the past few posts.  However, I feel that to understand where Lucy, my running career, and I are today, I need to take a few bird walks.  If you are truly dedicated to hearing only about Lucy or only about running, feel free to take a break from me and the blog for a bit.  I’ll get back to it soon, I promise.
I often state the fact that everything in life happens for a reason.  Maya happened for a reason and Lucy happened for a reason.  NYC happened for a reason, and Seattle is still working its way into its reason.  But I have yet to come up with a legitimate reason for why, in November 2008, the powers that be up above decided I needed to sprain my ankle.  Maybe the reason is hidden somewhere I can’t see it.  Maybe I needed to sprain my ankle in order to avoid something else awful that may have happened to me otherwise.  Maybe I needed to sprain my ankle so that I would suck it up and put a last ditch effort into training my crazy dog.  Who knows?  But here’s the story anyways…if you by any chance deduce some sort of reason behind the struggle, please let me know.
            In the ‘08-‘09 football season, the Seattle Seahawks sucked.  This is not to say that they don’t still or haven’t since, but that season they seemed especially bad.  So bad in fact, that tickets to games could be obtained for less than $50 on craigslist.  I was never a football fan—or any pro sports fan for that matter.  I had never been to a single pro anything game, but that season my Boxcar friends and I went to at least 5 or 6 games at Qwest Field.  Part of the Boxcar clan had season tickets and set up a tailgate under the Alaskan Way Viaduct near the stadium before every game.  It was easy to grab a set of tickets off craigslist the day before the game and stumble down to the stadium early Sunday morning.  The craziness of a pro football game was new and exciting to me.  I couldn’t get enough.  I remember the pre-game tailgating to be the best part of the game, and often our group wouldn’t actually make it into the stadium until the end of the 1st quarter, and sometimes well into the 2nd.  I don’t need to go into the details of all of the games we went to that year.  They all kind of blend together anyways.  If you’ve ever been to a football game, you probably know.  And if you haven’t, try to make it to at least one in your lifetime.  They’re pretty fun. 
            It was at one of these Seahawks games that I sprained my ankle.  I remember it was sometime after Halloween, but sometime before mid November.  I don’t remember who tailgated with us that day.  I don’t know who the away team was.  I don’t know where our seats were.  I have no idea who won the game.  But I do remember spraining my ankle.  Clear as day. 
            I remember leaving the stadium with Sierra, her boyfriend at the time, and his best friend.  I remember walking down the street, Sierra and her boyfriend in front of me.  The best friend and I were walking next to each other, talking (about what, I don’t know).  I remember getting to the corner, stopping in the massive crowd of people waiting to cross the street.  I remember the exact corner.  I get flashbacks every time I drive by.  I remember turning to the best friend to make a comment as the light changed and the crowd walked across the street.  I remember taking a few steps forward, and then I remember being in the gutter and feeling a blinding, mind-numbing pain.  And then I don’t remember anything else until we got to the emergency room.
            You may think I’m a wuss.  I know there are things in life much more painful than spraining an ankle.  But I have never felt them before.  I never broke any bones as a child, I’ve never given birth, I’ve never even had stitches.  My worst injury as a child was in 7th grade when I did a cartwheel on the balance beam and instead of landing on the beam, I landed flat footed on the ground that lay 4 feet below.  Instead of my knee giving way and bending forward as it should have when the full weight of my body was propelled along the length of my left leg and into my foot, my knee gave way in the opposite direction, hyperextending it.  I remember this being pretty painful, but I remember being more excited that my hot, blonde, and muscular gymnastics coach carried me like a knight in shining armor all the way through the high school to the physical therapist’s room.  I was on crutches for a weekend.  I consider myself very lucky that this is the worst thing that has ever befallen me.
            When I sprained my ankle, it was the worst pain I had ever felt.  After twisting my ankle on the curb that was obviously a little closer than I had thought it was, memory finally picks up in the hospital—apparently I was too blinded by pain and tears to remember the taxi ride we took to the hospital or how they got me into the hospital.  I know I certainly didn’t walk myself in.  I remember sitting on the x-ray table, wincing every time they touched me.  As I sat there, I’d feel fine for a minute until suddenly I’d feel a new wave of pain and the tears would start pouring again.  Sierra and her boyfriend sat there with me the whole time, trying their best to make me laugh.
            What I remember most about the whole thing though, was how weird it felt to cry like that.  I’m not a crier.  As weird as it may sound while I expose my life story to the world, I’m not someone who is particularly good at expressing vulnerable emotions.  I don’t like people feeling sorry for me.  I don’t like people knowing that I’m hurting and I certainly don’t like people seeing me cry.  I like to be viewed as a strong, independent person, and crying spoils that façade.  Before I sprained my ankle, the last time I remembered crying that hard was when my dad took me to the dog shelter to give my childhood dog away before I went to college (which is a whole other story).  Before that, I don’t remember crying that hard, ever.
            As I sat on the examining table, eyes puffy and red, bursts of tears continuing uncontrolled, I remember thinking, wow, it kind of feels good to do this.  I liked the puffy, itchy eye feeling.  It made me feel like I’d just expelled a lot of crappy things out of my body that didn’t belong.  I liked the sensation of the tears streaming down my cheeks, salty drips landing in the corners of my mouth.  I like the polka dots of dampness the tears left on my sweatshirt.  It felt like I’d just cried everything out that had been sitting in my body waiting to be cried out since I was in middle school.  The heartbreak of my first crush.  The sadness of losing a good friend.  The painful struggle of being shy and uneasy about myself in high school.  The heartbreak of my first boyfriend.  The heartbreak of all the boys that never became the person I wanted them to be.  The frustration of NYC.  The anger of my situation at my job my first two years of teaching in Brooklyn.  The fear I had of adjusting successfully in a new city.  It all came out. 
            And there it is!  I found my reason.  Maybe the powers that be up above wanted to teach me how to cry.  It was a pretty painful, forceful lesson, but it made a chip in the shield of armor I’d formed around my tear ducts.  Since then, I’ve cried quite a few more times.  This doesn’t mean I’m sadder than I used to be.  The opposite is true.  But, I’ve learned the value of a good cry.  Whether it’s over a heartfelt TV show, over a sad movie, over a heartbreak, over the loss of a family pet, or the ultimate acknowledgement of a long past disappointment, I have no problem letting myself cry now when the tears want to come.  I’m still not even close to 100% comfortable crying in public, but I’m much closer. 
            From now on I can say that spraining my ankle happened for a reason.  Spraining my ankle taught me how to enjoy a good cry.  And everyone should know how to do that.
Only an HLM will proudly photograph you
and force you to smile in your misery.
         
P.S. If by any chance you’ve noticed that purple widget up at the top of my blog on the right and haven’t clicked on it yet, please do!  I’m raising money for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society as I train for my third marathon and I want to get $1000 in the bank for them by March 1st.  Help me and donate to this great cause!

No comments:

Post a Comment