Wednesday, February 29, 2012

The straw that broke the pair of glasses


            Lucy is a likable dog.  People love her.  She’s friendly, loves to play, and has developed a knack for snuggling.  If you walk in the door, she is so excited to see you that not only does her tail wag, her whole body wags.  Her butt wiggles back and forth from her ribcage, slapping her tail so hard against any nearby object that it sounds like it might break off.  She whines and cries and runs back and forth across the apartment as if you coming home is the best thing that has ever happened to her.
            Lucy wins people over easily with her smile, floppy ears, and golden eyes.  People who are not dog lovers have told me that Lucy is a great dog.  She’s quirky and loveable with her odd eating habits, her talkative whining and moaning, her OCD about scooting her bed around and flipping it upside-down before she can fall asleep in it.  Maybe this is a mother’s naïve pride, but Lucy is a pretty awesome dog.
Sometimes when Lucy does something that makes my heart explode with love—like when I unfold the towel that allows her onto the couch and she does a running jump in order to immediately curl up and start snoring—I tell her “I love you more than words” (yes, I talk to my dog…I’m sure you could have easily guessed that by now).  This phrase, with dogs, takes on a whole new meaning.  Dogs don’t understand words.  So when you tell them you love them more than words, they already know.  Because you cannot express how much you love them in words.  You must show them.  They must feel it.  Words don’t matter for a dog.  It’s all about life and experience and reality.  As much as I love words, both writing and saying them, none of this matters for Lucy.  She only knows what she feels.
Dogs live in the moment.  When they are scared, all they feel is fear.  When they are happy, all they feel is joy.  When they are anxious, all they feel is that horrible itching inside them that makes them think that if you leave them now, you will never come back. 
Knowing this about dogs, I can’t imagine what Lucy was feeling when I was rendered basically immobile by a sprained ankle for 8 weeks.  Lucy was about 2 ½ years old, and up until that point in her life, she had never gone more than a day or two without exercise—whether it was an hour long romp at the dog park, a 1 ½ hour walk, or a 5-6 mile run.  She was a hyper, active dog and needed a way to release her energy.  But when I sprained my ankle, there was no dog park, certainly no walking, and definitely no running.  Sierra would walk her as often as she could, but it wasn’t as often as she was used to.  Lucy was stuck with energy compounding by the day. 
Very quickly, that energy exploded.  I lost count of how many pairs of socks, underwear, and shoes were destroyed.  She pulled paper out of the recycling bin and ripped it to shreds.  She chewed her toys to bits within minutes.  She chewed the handles off a pair of scissors, got at the end of the screw driver somehow, so if you try to use it, the teethmarks poke into your palm.  If you caught her with something, she would begin running circles around the wall that stood separating the kitchen from the dining room, making it impossible to catch her.  Especially with a sprained ankle. 
I felt like there was nothing I could do.  I was stuck with this energetic dog who wanted to destroy everything with her craziness.  The only person who has ever told me they hate my dog was my boyfriend from this time, who only knew her during this awful phase.  I don’t blame him for saying that.  She was pretty awful.  And I felt pretty helpless. 
The last straw happened one day while I was in the shower.  I had recently run out of contacts, which I wore daily.  My last contact had ripped in two and I had yet to make a doctor’s appointment (or to even find an eye doctor in Seattle).  I had started wearing the glasses I typically only wore at night, after my contacts dried out.  I had actually started to enjoy wearing my glasses, which only resulted in putting off a doctor’s appointment even more.  But, somewhere around that time, I was in the shower one day and placed my glasses up on the bathroom counter where I always put them.  While I was in the shower, Lucy somehow pulled my glasses off of the bathroom counter and chewed them apart.
Anyone who knows me, knows that I’m blind.  Without glasses or contacts, I can’t see my hand in front of my face.  This happened on a weeknight.  I had to work the next day.  I had to drive to work.  I had to keep my eyes on twenty odd children all day long.  I had to function.  I couldn’t do that without glasses or contacts.  This was the first time I broke down in tears after the ankle spraining downpour.  I had absolutely no idea what to do.  I called friends, panicked.  We problem-solved, and somehow I managed to find an older pair of glasses I had packed away somewhere in moving boxes (how I find them without being able to see, I have no idea).  The glasses were nowhere near the correct prescription—stoplights were still fuzzy as I drove to work the next day—but they tided me over until my frantically-made doctor’s appointment a day later.
When I stepped out of the shower and saw my glasses in pieces on the floor, Lucy didn’t have to understand my words.  She could feel my rage in the sound of my voice, the fact that I would look at her or touch her for the rest of that night.  She knew she’d done something very wrong.  But I felt guilty because she’s a dog.  She didn’t know that chewing those things on the counter were any worse than all the other items she’d stolen to chew.  She’d been yelled at for those things too, but the consequences were never clear enough to make her feel like she needed to stop.
So I made a clear decisions that day—a “this is the last straw” decision.  From that moment on, there would be no more chewing.  No more chasing around the apartment.  No more destruction.  It was time to lay down the law.  And since I couldn’t explain it to her logically, Lucy didn’t even know what she had coming…

No comments:

Post a Comment