Tuesday, January 22, 2013

On not running...

...and kind of being OK with it.

Long before running the Goofy Challenge, right around the time that I decided to sign up for TNT Summer Team and train for the Seattle RNR Marathon, I told myself that I was going to force a 2-week running hiatus on myself.  I chose 2 weeks because that is the amount of time between Goofy and the start of summer team (this coming Saturday).  It is also a chunk of time that is short enough that I won't lose a ton of stamina and speed, but long enough to hopefully make me miss running.

When it comes to running, I have one big fear aside from major injury: burnout.  I've heard many a runner talk about hitting the burnout point, and how hard it is to bounce back from.  Suddenly, running isn't quite so fun anymore.  It feels forced and stagnant.  The innate joys of running seem to have slipped away suddenly and a long break is required before they come back.

I fear burnout because I fear what would happen to me if one of the biggest joys of my life were suddenly swept out from under my feet.  This lovely little facebook meme-ish thing (not sure of the technical term of these pictures) pretty much sums up how I feel about running:
Just in case you were still a little unsure after all this time how I feel
about running.
So after Negative November, when running didn't feel very good for a while, I decided that I was in need of a break.  Yes, Determined December was a much happier time.  I felt great and was proud of all that I did that month.  But after logging 152 miles in December (the most mileage I've ever run in a month), I was already looking forward to a break.

So I'm allowing myself a guilt-free, run-free 2 weeks.  I'm not allowing myself to feel bad about it.    I'm enjoying the extra time on my hands.  It's easier to come home from work to thoughts of bundling up and heading out for a 30 minute Lucy walk than putting on less clothes to go out into the freezing temperatures.

The respite has been quite nice, albeit a little confusing for my body and brain.  Nine days into my non-running streak, my body doesn't know how to feel about food.  After stuffing myself for a few days following Goofy, now my tummy doesn't know what, or how much, it wants.  My muscles are starting to feel antsy, ready to move and stretch and work.  My brain has also been doing a little less thinking than usual.  Running is when I work out all the thoughts that bounce around in this busy brain and come to peace with them.  I feel like nothing has been internally resolved lately, so there's all these loose ends flapping around waiting to be tended to.

But me and my brain and my body will make it through this.  Despite the confusion, we are enjoying the break.  And we will all be better off in the end for it.

So, since this post is about not running, let's talk about Lucy instead.  Because I know it's been way too long since you've seen a picture of her.  And I know you miss her.  And in all my non-running free time, I've had time to take a few pictures.  This series is called:

The Essence of Lucyness

1)  Ball of Lucy
I fold up quite nicely.
2)  Tastes like Salt! (photo courtesy of dog-sitters/Uncle Nathan and Aunt Annalise)
It would be kind of awesome if I had Aunt and Uncle
around to hang out with more often....
3)  Innocence Personified
Those baby carrots look awfully tasty.
4)  Lightning Speed
So fast you can't even see me!
5)  Lazy Play
Toys are fun.  Laying down is too.  I can do both.
6)  Upsidedown Life
The world just looks more interesting this way.
7)  Until next time...
Rest up and get some sleep.  Let your tongue hang out.
Because we've got a whole new marathon training season waiting for us.

2 comments:

  1. This is a fantastic post Tessa! Made me smile! What a great dog/friend you have there. Good luck with the next chapter of running with TNT.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Karen! Lucy is definitely one of the best :)

      Delete