Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Wonderful Wednesday

Today: a list.

A list of all that is good.  In no particular order.  Just because.

No windy introduction necessary.

1) First grade conversations.  I don't know if they were just on a roll with unintentional humor today, or if I was simply in a more lighthearted mood than I have been lately, allowing me to acknowledge it all.  A random sampling:

First grader #1: "Ms. Kaplan, why isn't it sunny out?!?"
First grader #2: "Because Mother Nature LIES."
The sincere incredulity inherent in the first statement was only overshadowed by the emphatic anger of the second.

"Have you seen this before?": A statement made by the smallest, sweetest, most innocent-looking girl in my class to her best friend as she simultaneously raises her elbow high, holding her first up to her ear, looking cocked to punch said best friend in the face.  While the shock settles in and I prep for a mad dash across the classroom, best friend raises her fist for a bump, and they proceed to blow it up while smiling the biggest smiles I've ever seen on 7 year old princesses.

First grader at pack-up time with exasperation: "Oh, NOW the sun is out."
Ms. Kaplan: "Perfect! Just in time to go home and play outside!"
First grader: "But I'm going to go home and play video games."
Ms. Kaplan: "Or you could go home and go outside and not play video games."
First grader: "But they're so fun.  Ugh, why did they have to invent video games?"
Ms. Kaplan: "Good question."

2) A solo run.  I love running with friends.  Lately, it's all I've been doing and it's been great.  But sometimes I forget how amazingly therapeutic it can be to pound it out on a solo run.  Especially when you get home and see these mile splits:
See those pretty green numbers?  Perfect.  Negative.  Splits.
3)  Worry-free (and $$ free) lunch.  It is Teacher Appreciation Week.  At my school, PTA provides lunch for all staff all week long.  It's crazy how great it is to not have to worry about packing a lunch every morning.

4)  More sunshine.  Sunshine has become the cowbell of my life.  More cowbell please.

5)  The collective sigh over spilled milk.  A poor unfortunate kindergartner, back from a field trip, clutching a small carton of chocolate milk while standing outside amidst a crowd of teachers waiting for the buses to take off at the end of the day, drops the milk carton and it sprays in an arc across the sidewalk.  Every adult standing nearby collectively sighs, "Awwwww..." and then smiles as the child looks up, lost and forlorn.

6)  Amazing friends.  Who show their support in incredible ways.

7)  A perfectly ripe avocado.  Pure deliciousness.  For the salad I simply can't get enough of lately.
Kale, grapefruit, avocado, sunflower seeds, and a
homemade citrus/olive oil dressing.  Drool.
8)  Multitasking.  I am an amazing multitasker between the hours of 7:30 AM and 4 PM Monday through Friday.  But I typically use up all my multitasking mojo during those times.  Today, I was able to multitask at home, long after my 4 PM cutoff.
Foam rolling and taking a bath.  At the same time.
Eight good things on a pretty average day.

Even if nothing fantastic or outstanding happens, every day has something good to give.  You just have to keep your eyes open wide enough to find it.

No comments:

Post a Comment