Wednesday, May 1, 2013

A much needed boost

A couple of days ago (or maybe it was weeks or even months...who knows with the speed by which time has been passing lately), I saw quote/meme/picture/whatever-the-techie-term-is inspirational thing on Facebook.  While thinking through this post today, I fully intended to go find it and post it here, but after a much too lengthy fruitless search in the never-ending depths of my newsfeed and even a half-hearted Google search, I turned up empty-handed.  Here is the closest thing I found:
Definitely on the cheesy side, but the theme is on par.
The quote I was vaguely remembering went something like this: "Disappointments are just the beginning of the unforeseen better/new/improved/full-of-opportunity/beautiful/open-doored path before you."  In case you can't tell, I totally just made that up.  But I think it sounds Facebook quotish enough (that's is a word in my dictionary, Mr. Spell Check).

By the way, Mr. Spell Check, "newsfeed," "hearted," and "doored" are also words in the dictionary of Tessa.  You can take your squiggly red lines and find someone else to harass.

I digress.  Let's get to the point here.

I've had a few disappointments lately.  Some larger than others, but disappointments nonetheless.  So when a disappointment, no matter how small, does flip itself into a positive, I can't help but smile and say, "Thanks, Universe."  Not to sound pompous, but in the balance of karma, I feel like I should have a few good things coming my way in the future.  Sometimes it's good to see them come to fruition, no matter how small.

So, let's define my negative/positive payoff this week.

The disappointment:  I've been trying, despite a packed schedule, to fit in Monday boot camps wherever I can.  For the last couple months, I've been fairly unsuccessful.  I know that strengthening is really important for running, and I've always failed at it, so I wanted to do as much as I could this time around.  I was super excited on Monday because it was going to be the first time I'd been able to make two weeks in a row of boot camp since mid-February (not exaggerating, OCD-style training log shows proof).  I packed my boot camp bag and brought it to school with me ready for 40 after-school minutes of excruciating but wonderful pain.  

So you can imagine my disappointment when a mid-afternoon staff email when out with the unfortunate subject line: "boot camp cancelled."  Boo.  Hiss.  Universe, you suck.

I took my sadface home, gave Lucy a bonus 45 minute walk, and wrote an "I suck at marathon training" blog post.
At least somebody got some enjoyment out of the day.
The unforeseen better/new/improved/full-of-opportunity/beautiful/open-doored path before me: I wasn't feeling very excited about Tuesday's Team run.  Tuesday Team practices are our "workout" runs.  We do things like hill repeats, tempos, and intervals.  Whether I've been sore from Monday boot camp, or just plain exhausted from my over-booked weekends, I've felt tired on almost every Tuesday run this season.  I have no desire to be the fastest (that's a lie) or the best (also a lie), but I'd at least appreciate a run where I feel on top of the world.  Is that too much to ask, Universe?

Apparently not.  Because it totally happened.

We did intervals on Tuesday.  The interval run consisted of a 10 minute warm up, 30 minutes of 5 minute intervals (3 mins "on" and 2 mins "off"), and then a 10 minute cool down.  I tried to start slow, keeping in mind my own advice and desire to get back to my self-designated Negative Split Queen status.  It paid off:
Not showing warm up and cool down, the interval splits.
If you try to tell me 6:54 is slower than 6:52, I will strangle
you and then point out the 2 second difference in the time
and then the mileage of the split itself.  Dead on the same.
And then Nike+ congratulated me by showing me this when I got home and plugged in the watch:
Read those little red banners at the top.  I've been logging
my runs to this website for a year and a half.  Those little
guys mean fastest EVER.
Joshua Radin is currently singing to soundtrack of my life from my computer speakers as I write:
"It's a brand new day
The sun is shining
It's brand new day
For the first time, in such a long long time
I know, I'll be ok."

I could be being over-dramatic here, but I'm taking the win and running with it (ha, pun).  At least for a little while.  I won't say I've re-earned my Queen of Negative Splits title, but I could be on my way.  We'll see after my 17 miles this coming weekend.

And now, because I am a blogger and I love to over-analyze things, let's talk about all the things that could have contributed to this amazing run:

1)  No boot camp.  My legs weren't sore.  My body wasn't tired.  I was well rested, despite the marathon nightmare I'd had the evening before.  This is pretty much the main reason why I think I killed this run.  See the whole turning a negative into a positive thing?  It works.

2)  A day at the zoo.  Tuesday was first grade field trip day.  I got to spends hours out in the sun looking at cute animals at my favorite zoo, catching up with a co-worker that I unfortunately don't get to spend much "outside of work" time with anymore.  Sunshine, animals, and good friends are all good for the soul.

3)  A running buddy.  The last couple Tuesdays, after a warm-up with some running friends, I usually am left in the dust by and/or speed ahead of everyone else for the workout portion of the run.  Pushing through hill reps, tempos, or intervals are no fun on your own.  Erica and I have always been really good at keeping each other going through these tough runs.  But, as I may have mentioned just a few times, Erica is coaching.  And therefore not running with me.  But yesterday, new fast runner friend James was feeling a little tired and stuck with me.  Even through these runs, where "conversation" isn't quite physically possible, it's still nice to have someone at your side.  For me, just having someone there makes a big difference.

4)  Any number of other factors.  Hydration.  Food.  Sleep.  Karma.  Life convergences that I am completely unaware of.

The major lesson I'm taking away from all of this?  Besides the whole turning a negative into a positive thing, I think I'm going to forgo boot camp at least until taper time.  My legs loved the rest day.  If by simply giving them a day of rest they will continue to perform as they did yesterday, I think I can make the sacrifice.

Now I'm ready to ride this high into the weekend.  I'm crossing my fingers for a long run of epic proportions.  Or maybe just one I feel good on and earn myself some negative split bonus points.  Let's not set the expectations too high here.

Let's do this, Universe.

No comments:

Post a Comment