Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Have you fartlekked today?

I didn't today, but I did yesterday.

However, due to my compulsive need to retell stories in chronological order, we'll have to come back to that.

Last week when I left you, I had had 2 pretty amazing runs.  I was getting my mojo back.  The streak of finding my mojo still continues...do not fret...but I have to tell you about Saturday's run.  To start off, let's look at the splits:
Miles 1-6 = awesome. Miles 7-11 = not so much.
The first half of this run was perfect.  I felt great.  My legs were strong.  I carried along at a pretty swift pace for me for a long run.  But on our out-and-back run, just after the midway turn around point, I felt some sudden pangs of pain in my side and tummy.  At first, I ignored it.  But the pains gradually worsened.  In mile 7, I made a pit stop, but to no avail and the pains continued.  They turned slowly into a massive side stitch under my upper left ribs, which then stretched all the way across my tummy.  As I continued running, the cramp crept slowly down my side.  By the time it hit my lower ribs, it was pinching so badly that I had to walk for a bit (hence mile 8's pace).

I was running with one of my teammates, Annemarie who thankfully stuck with me through this pain, the walking, and the pit stops, despite my urging her to continue on her own without me.  She's already typically a much faster pace than me, then add my tummy troubles to it and I knew I was like a lead foot to her.  But she insisted she wasn't going to leave me.  Which I was extremely thankful for.

After we walked for a minute or so, I tried to pick back up the pace again and probably made it another half mile before attempting a pit stop again.  No luck, and the pain continued.  I kept running for a little and then needed another short walk break.  Annemarie kept reminding me to breathe deeply, which I focused on, but it's tough to breathe deep when every breath results in a crippling pain in your side.

After the second walk break, we had about 2 miles to go.  So I gritted my teeth, counted down the minutes, and just kept pushing until we finally got back to the start (hence the slightly faster paces in the final 2 miles--just trying to get through it).  By the time we finished, my cramp had slid all the way down my side next to my hip bone and extended across my lower abdomen.

While I chatted with a few other teammates at the end, I had to keep doubled over for about 10 minutes before I was able to stand fully upright somewhat comfortably.  And then by the time we had gotten back to the cars, driven to breakfast, and ordered our food, I was totally back to normal.

I have no idea what caused this.  The only thing I can think of was that I added some Seitan (wheat protein) to my pasta the night before.  But this didn't really feel like a bathroom tummy issue--it was an honest side cramp.  Nonetheless, no more Seitan on Friday nights.

*Side note for those who don't know of the term: this experience is NOT what a fartlek is.

But, despite all of this, I must point out my mental state during my struggle.  I was annoyed and frustrated, but in a completely different manner than all of Negative November.  I knew I could do this run.  My legs felt great.  My lungs (aside from the pinching cramp) felt healthy and full.  Mentally, I was 100% there for this run.  Instead of giving up and calling someone to come get me, or sending Annemarie on to go fetch someone, I mentally and physically pushed through whatever affliction decided to attack me on that run.  And now I believe that I passed whatever test it was that somebody decided to give me that day.  A++ for effort and mental stability.  Go me.

And then that night, I celebrated/tried to forget about the run by putting on a little black dress for a Holiday Ball and drinking too much with my HLM Sierra and other friends I haven't seen enough lately.
Yes, there is a lot of leg in that picture, but I put those
guys to work daily and they deserve to be shown off
once in a blue moon.
Then on Sunday, I allowed myself a day of nothing.  I slept in until 10, then curled back up in bed with my friend Hulu until 2.  Then I moved to the couch and my friend Netflix kept me company until I ordered dinner from the Thai place down the street.  I had a guilt-free productivity-less day (which may or may not have also had something to do with the amount of alcohol consumed the evening before).

Monday was a rest day on the schedule.  I thought about running since I had taken Sunday as a rest day, but then Erica asked if I wanted to drink wine instead.  So I did that.

Then on Tuesday, I fartlekked.  I'm not sure how I've made it 4.5 years as a runner without a fartlek.  I've known what a fartlek is for a few years, just never really did it.  For those that are curious and have no idea what a fartlek is, let me educate you.  It is not quite as interesting as the word may suggest.  Fartlek means "speed play" in German according to Coach/Ironman Kelly--so if that is incorrectly translated you can totally blame her :)

As technical as that may sound, it's kind of a fun speed work run.  If you're with other people it's a great challenge.  Erica, Ironman Jason, and I all ran together.  After a 10 minute warm up, one person chooses when to start sprinting.  They choose a starting point (ex. "that stop sign") and an ending point (ex. "the next crosswalk").  Then you slow down, recover, and a minute or two later, it's the next person's turn to choose the starting and stopping point.  You're typically sprinting for no more than a minute and a half.  We continued these starts and stops of bursts of speed for 40 minutes, followed by a cool down of 10 minutes.  And there you have it.  A fartlek.  Very little structure, but lots of challenge and speed work where your suffering is totally dependent upon you and your running buddies' whims.

Last night, I had lots of energy and speed at the beginning after having rested for 2 days, but by the end I was spent.  In a good way.  I'm excited to do another one next week.  I'd rather do fartleks or speed intervals over hill reps any day.  Just sayin'.

And after last night's fartlekking, I woke up this morning for pre-dawn run #3.  It was raining and Lucy was protesting against any pace faster than 9:00.  But my mojo-filled mind didn't care.  I got out there and ran and had 4.5 miles under my belt before 6:15 in the morning.  The sun didn't even start rising until close to 8:00.  I was out pounding the pavement over 2 hours before he even thought about waking up.  Go me again.

And so now I have a new goal: Make Wednesday morning runs a regular occurrence (after next week, because I'll be fartlekking with Erica again next Wednesday evening).

Anyone want to become my Wednesday morning running buddy (I'm looking at you, Ironman Jason)?  We leave from my place at about 5:20 AM.  No big deal.

P.S.  Mr. Spell Check does NOT like the word "fartlek" or any derivation thereof.  I defy you again Mr. Spell Check.  Bwa-ha-ha.

P.P.S.  Happy 12/12/12!!  I hope you did something awesome enough to give yourself at least a mini "go me."  It feels pretty good when you do.

2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Yes, I definitely agree. But I still do it :) You could go back home and take a nap before you have to go to work...

      Delete