Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Maybe it's time to grow up a little?

So, I did this the other day...

It's not an awesome road burn from crashing on my bike.  I've actually been surprisingly fall-free this cycling season (only one "almost" fall last week where I unclipped just in time).

It's not an extremely precise and localized sunburn (don't worry mom and dad, I've been wearing my sunscreen every day).

It's not another paddle boarding injury.

It's not some sort of weird disease I picked up in Green Lake.

It's an oven burn.  From making toast.  In the oven.  Temperature set to high broil.  Because I don't have a toaster.

On Sunday, I was making this super delicious homemade brunch and had to toast my market-fresh baguette little pieces of toast.
It's was delicious despite the fact that I almost overcooked
the eggs while holding my singed arm under cold running
water.
While I was flipping one of those little pieces of bread over to toast the opposite side (because, you know, the broiler only toasts one side at a time), it slid right through the rack and dropped to the bottom.  Without thinking, I reached to catch it and my arm made full contact with the inside of the oven door.

Ouch.

And this isn't the first time.  A few months ago, I hit the top of the oven with the base of my thumb as I was making my pre-long run almond butter toast, leaving about a 1 inch burn.  Not nearly as bad as this forearm length doozy I've acquired, but still ridiculous nonetheless.

I've been staring at this burn for a couple days now and have come to a general conclusion: I need to grow up and buy a toaster.

Seriously, I need to just go to Fred Meyer or Target or some other cheap toaster-selling store and buy myself a $20 toaster that will keep my hands and forearms safe from overheated oven surfaces (don't worry, I'm not a baker).  But here's the thing: I probably won't.  At least probably not until I burn myself a third time.

And the point of all this rambling is this: while, generally, I consider myself to be an adequately mature and adult-like 29 year old, there are still some areas of my life where that early 20-something attitude has failed to mature.  In fact, I think there may be areas where I've regressed.  And seeing as the big three-zero is just six short months away, maybe it's time I take a closer look at these areas.

Because 30 is a big number, and as much as I'd like to tell myself that I won't be one of those people that freaks out about that nice round number, there's a small part of me that is one of those people.  Just a small part.

Watch out, here comes a list.
Lucy is sooooo excited.
Areas Where Tessa Could Stand For a Little Growing Up

1)  The toaster.  We discussed this.  Perhaps I will buy one by January 16th.  Perhaps not.  Either way, if I end up with 30 toasters as birthday presents come January, someone is going to wind up with a broken nose (haha, as if I'm capable of that).

2)  Taking the garbage out.  Or the recycling.  Or the compost.  Or even cleaning out the fridge.  Ugh, hate it.  I will try my best not to create garbage just because I don't want to take it out.  Let's call it my little way of helping with environmental conservation.  Or just laziness.

3)  Talking about "feelings."  I realize this doesn't quite make sense considering I write this blog expressing my feelings to the world.  But it's different.  You are sitting at your computer somewhere far far away, and the next time I see you (if I see you), I won't know if you've read this or not unless you mention it to me.  And if you mention it to me, I'll already have forgotten what I wrote about.  It is very easy to remove myself from the "fear of sharing feelings" thing when there's a computer screen between us.  And let's be honest...in this little blog you only get to see a small part of me when it comes to "feelings."  What I write here is a filtered snippet of my life, made entertaining enough for you to want to read.  You don't get all of me here.  Sorry.

4)  I ate Ramen noodles for dinner.  Actually, this one is kind of a fake though.  I bought Ramen noodles on a whim at the grocery store a couple weeks ago for the first time in years.  I've been doing quite well with my summer cooking goals so far.  But I thought it was funny that here I am writing a blog about immaturity, and I'm eating Ramen noodles.  The broke college student meal of champions.

5)  FOMO (Fear of Missing Out).  According to greatist.com, FOMO is now a research-based affliction brought on by social networks (ahem...Facebook) and affecting a large majority of 20-somethings.  Side affects include anxiety and depression.  I had big problems with FOMO even before the days of Facebook (picture a college summer, 2 unemployed roomies drinking all day and wandering the streets of NYC while I worked endless boring hours as a lifeguard).  While my anxiety due to this sad affliction has greatly diminished throughout the years, it still exists at some level.

6)  Waiting.  I am a child when it comes to waiting.  I hate waiting in line.  Waiting for someone to show up.  Waiting for something to happen.  I need things to happen right now according to my schedule and desires.  Selfish and immature?  Perhaps.  That's why we're talking about it.

7)  Lazy couch days.  As physically active as I am, I love myself a lazy couch day just as much as any teenager.  I may feel guilt pangs as I do it, but I will sit all day on the couch at least once every couple weeks.  Lazy Sundays are my favorite.
Lucy loves a good lazy couch day too.  As long as she
gets a walk at some point in the day.  Which cuts into
my lazy couch day, but I try not to get too upset.
8)  Saturdays "out."  Back in college, we'd go out just because it was Saturday.  Or Friday.  Or Thursday.  Or sometimes Tuesday.  No big events, it was just time to go out.  While I limit it now to just a night a week, I still enjoy a good night out at the bars with my friends.  I've been told I'm supposed to outgrow this.  I suppose when I have reason to, I will.

Actually, looking back on this little list, I'd say I'm not so bad.  I know lots of 30 plussers that hold tight to many of these.  And I think I have a lot going for me in the maturity department.

So screw it.  I'm not buying a toaster.

I'm fine just the way I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment